#GivingTuesday started as a day for anyone, anywhere to give, and it’s grown into the biggest giving movement in the world. The annual event takes place on the first Tuesday after Thanksgiving and it gets bigger and bigger every year. It grew from $177 million in online donations in 2016 to $300 million in 2017—that’s a 69% increase! In 2018, more than $380 million was raised on the annual day. This year’s #GivingTuesday is December 3rd. While it probably seems like a long way away, it will be here before you know it. Are you ready?
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for the big day:
1. Start preparing now
People give because they’re inspired by something you post on social media or highlight in a newsletter. Start thinking now about your audience and what story would inspire them the most to give big.
2. Maximize your online donation page and make it easy for people to donate from anywhere
Donors are more likely to donate on branded donation pages and give based on their understanding or an organization’s impact. Make sure your donation page is responsive and easy for donors to use on mobile, tablet, or desktop in time for #GivingTuesday.
3. Communicate with your donors
Let your donors know what your plans are before the big day. Send them emails and updates ahead of #GivingTuesday, encouraging them to give big and contribute to your cause.
4. Set a goal and make it public
Come up with a realistic goal you’d like to raise and then publicize it when you communicate with your donors. You can include the goal on your donation page and track donations in real-time.
5. Thank and encourage your donors
People like to be thanked and this day is no different. Make sure you have a thank you email ready to go out to your supporters thanking them for their donation. Thanking donors makes them more likely to give to your organization again and again. Touch base with the same donors again before year’s end.
Now that we’ve got you thinking about #GivingTuesday, here are some Click & Pledge products available to you to help you fundraise for this big day.
1. SMSgiving– Through a partnership with Twilio, your organization can easily accept donations with text messages. This product is great for events and makes the donation process quick and easy for your supporters.
2. pledgeTV™– Give while you watch! This new product is an ad-free video player that is directly connected to your donation forms. Your supporters will be able to donate right while watching. Emotional Variance will then help you gather insights to understand what part of the video is most successful in encouraging donations. Every organization should be leveraging the power of video to encourage donations, especially through pledgeTV.
3. GiveBig®– Unlock the power of your community by bringing multiple organizations together under one platform. Leaderboards can be activated to foster competition and encourage people to contribute. All organizations will then have continued access to our platform and all products!